Western Maine Community Action offers Free Foreclosure Prevention Services.

A HUD-approved housing counselor can play an important role if you have fallen behind on your mortgage payments and may be facing foreclosure. HUD approved counseling agency staff must possess a working knowledge of HUD housing programs (including public housing), the housing programs available in the community, and the local housing market.

A housing counselor will help you assess your financial situation and offer specific suggestions on what you should do, free of charge.

A housing counselor can:

  • Review your financial situation and help you plan a budget and spending plan;
  • Help you to contact your lender or loan servicer and prepare a “hardship letter” that explains your situation;
  • Identify what workout options are available and the option that is best for you;
  • Explain the terms of any refinancing or other options to you.

For more information or to set up an appointment with a Housing Counselor, please contact us at 207-645-3764 or 1-800-645-9636.