Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) provides unemployment coverage for the self-employed and others not normally covered by state unemployment insurance. PUA was created through the federal CARES Act and provides up to 39 weeks of benefits through December 26, 2020.
Phone Line for PUA Claimants
For questions about PUA, please call 1-888-413-0820. This phone line will be open from 8-3 Friday and 8-noon Saturday.
View our Frequently Asked Questions by clicking on the icon.
Applications for PUA will open on Friday, May 1. Beginning Friday, people who have been self-employed should do the following:
- Create a ReEmployME account
- Verify your email address in ReEmployME – click on the Benefit Maintenance menu and follow the instructions to receive a confirming email
- Sign up for direct deposit – also through the Benefit Maintenance menu. This is faster than the debit card option
- File your PUA claim – through the Unemployment Claim menu
- File your weekly certification for any weeks after your loss of employment
- Continue filing your weekly certification every week
Anyone who is not self-employed should follow the traditional process of applying for benefits. Visit www.maine.gov/unemployment for more information.
Phone Number: 1-888-413-0820